From: Abd ul-Rahman Lomax [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2001 9:51 PM
To: Protel EDA Forum
Subject: Re: [PEDA] How to use objects as keepouts?

Mr. Jenkins seems to have misunderstood the keepout attribute, as others
have noted. When a primitive has the keepout attribute, it does not
photoplot and it does not implement connectivity. (If someone finds an
example where it does, they have found a bug.)

I was unaware that there was a setting which allowed the plotting of
layer-specific keepouts, but the report that the default is No makes me not
so worried about that....

If you want to see what the board will look like when plotted, hide
keepouts  in the option screen that sets final/draft/hidden. I haven't
checked this right now, but as I recall, and as one would expect, this
prevents keepout display so you will only see copper on, say, the top layer
even if top layer keepouts are present.

Keepouts are otherwise displayed as if they were objects on the layer,
except they are given a distinctive appearance, as I recall, an outline.

So the answer to Mr. Jenkin's problem is to place a keepout fill where he
wants no pour. *Not a fill on the keepout layer, but a surface layer fill
with the keepout attribute checked.* Or he can just as easily use a keepout
track. A fill might be aesthetically more satisfying.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA