Steve:

Windows XT, what's that?  Yet another permutation of Windows ;-)  All the
new laptops use XP (ugh!).  You might be able to wipe it from the hard drive
and install Windows 2000 if you don't like XP.  But Bill Gates will get your
money for XP regardless - you can't buy a [mainstream] laptop without it.
In spite of the DOJ rhetoric the Microsoft tax still stands.

I have been looking at the Sony Vaio FXA36 or FX370.  I still haven't bought
one, but my research led me to it.  One of my customers is a software
consultant who has had several Sony laptops and he likes them.  Of course,
he gets his clients to buy them for him for a project.  When the project is
over, he hands over the laptop to them.  And he tells the next customer to
buy him a brand new Sony.  So he always stays current!

Just make the laptop you get has the "standard" ports - parallel, serial.
Some don't.  And I personally like all the drives (floppy, DVD/CDRW, etc.)
built in - no external drives or docking stations need apply.

If you want to use the laptop with a video camera, make sure the laptop has
a Firewire port.  The Sonys do.

For video, stay away from cheaper models with unified video RAM.

Never mind claims of battery life - they are all bogus.  Any CAD job you do
is likely going to take more time than a battery charge anyway.  Laptop
batteries are really only good as a UPS - to prevent you from losing your
data during a power failure.  When the technology has gotten to where a
12-hour work day can be done on one charge while running at full CPU speed
and hard drive thrashing, I'll change my mind.

Best regards,
Ivan Baggett
Bagotronix Inc.
website:  www.bagotronix.com