On Fri, 8 Feb 2002 10:52:34 -0000, Steve wrote:

>It's a trivial issue, but has anybody managed to configure P99SE (SP6) to
>enable firing up of Acrobat reader for a PDF stored in a ddb? (Preferably
>Windows file system)

I didn't configure anything it is just supposed to work.

You import a PDF into the database and it gets converted into an OLE scrap
object (or whatever these abominations are called) and design explorer
should be able to open it with Acrobat.

Be aware that in a windows file system database it will still appear to be
a .pdf file but it isn't and can't be opened directly with Acrobat (well
maybe version 5 can). These files seem to actually have a .scp extension
which in it's minute wisdom Microsoft decided we should never be allowed to
see regardless of any Windows explorer settings (a good way to disguise a
malicious file BTW).

Within design explorer you should be able to import and open files
associated with any installed application which is an OLE server. I have
the full Acrobat 4 installed, maybe the reader is not an OLE server and it
can't be done or maybe you have lost whatever crap in the registry it takes
to identify the reader as a server.

I suggest you don't get carried away with this. I have Photopaint 8
installed which is an OLE server for bit mapped image files. I can import
say a 200kB jpeg photograph into a Protel database where it still says it
is a .jpg but gets converted to an OLE scrap object and is stored as an
uncompressed 32bit image occupying possibly 10's of MB.

Cheers, Terry.