At 06:00 AM 2/8/2002 -0500, Darryl Newberry wrote:
>I found a fascinating rant on the early use of Bishop Graphics,
>Chartpack/Letraset pre-cut tracks/pads, red vs. blue tape, US Mil Standard
>275-D, etc. at
>
>http://www.cia.com.au/rcsradio/rcscadph.txt

Yes, fascinating. From my casual reading, I didn't see that the author
really recognized the supreme idiocy of red/blue tape.

He talked about using register pins, but nothing about the concept of using
a single layer padmaster with separate mylar layers for top and bottom (and
innerlayer) track.

from the file:

>Now against all this in the 'olden days' we used to put the Black Pads
>on a separate piece of film which was 'pin bar registered' to our RED
>and BLUE tracks on separate sheets of vellum or as I said earlier
>you can put the RED and BLUE on the same sheet with the black pads held
>in registration for the other layers.

Once a pin bar was being used, black tape could be used for everything,
thus making the photography cheaper and better.

Mylar was a stable-base material, I used clear mylar for layouts. I used
frosted mylar to do the pencil sketches, and it was easy to tell layers
from each other. I used a black pencil. If I really needed to see a layer
clearly, I could always pull up the other layers, but usually simply
flipping them up, leaving them on the pins, was enough. Fast. I still can't
work as easily on large designs -- in this respect -- with the limitations
of monitor workspace. Consider what it would be like to have a E-size
monitor....

The reason for using a black pencil was that changing pencils took too much
time. Up until the time that Protel came out (and its prodigal son, Tango),
I could beat the CAD systems even with large designs, I was thoroughly
unimpressed by the figures that CAD sales gave, and do you think that the
systems were as good as the salesmen claimed? I just know that I was hired
to do manual designs for prototypes by companies with CAD systems because
the CAD systems took too long, they used CAD for production designs only.
But life moves on....

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA