> I consider this a pretty unlikely version of the story. It
> is a major effort to "go out and hire programmers" and it
> takes time. It is much more likely that Accel saw a market
> opportunity and prefered to meet it with their own product
> than having to pay Protel their cut. But I was not privy
> to the negotiations. Tango and Protel Autotrax, as I recall,
> came out at approximately the same time, but it would be
> interesting to know which was actually first.

Looking though my old documentation for Autotrax 1.0 I think,
the copyright date is 1988. Before that I was using Protel
PCB as early as the beginning of 1886.

Hardware requirements are now quite funny:

CGA,EGA, Hercules, VGA or Vega Deluxe.
MS-DOS Version 2.0 or greater.
640K ram.
The software will perform adequately on a machine with an 8088
microprocessor running at 4.77MHz, but you will notice a significant
increase in speed if a higher clock speed or more advanced processor
(such as an 80286 or 80386) is used.

Feeling my age,
Darren Moore