We never really got to the bottom of it but we did the following to resolve
it.....

Upgrade to W2000 and ban W98 from using protel.
Specify at least 1G RAM
Forbid multiple access of schematics, though we do allow simultanious PCB /
SCH use - reluctantly.
Regularly backup to multiple destinations and keep a 30 deep history of
backups, disk space is plentiful.
Regularly compress the database
If possible store the .DDB on a local machine rather than a server

I think the main cause was W98 and low resources caused by background tasks.
We've not had a corruption in a very long time.

Protels' 'network awairness' is crap, considering its their selling point
its got to be taken with a pinch of
salt.

As I said previously, multiple users of the same .ddb can cause loss of data
as file / record locking is not done
right, its optional and manual.  It should work more like CVS whereby
changes can be merged and controlled.

Also when working on a network copy we get much more frequent 'Protel has
caused a...' messages.

There is somthing really screwy with it.  To give them grace, its probably
not Protel's fault, they are relying
of sombody elses software (JET) to work with multiple users.

J.