hello,

i'm working with smt for the first time, and the board has
576MHz piped onboard thru a coax, so some signal integrity
issues arise.

i've established a stack that will give me a controlled
impedance, and after laying a few critical lines by hand,
i want to allow autorouting to complete the board.

to avoid added inductances, i want the vias within 10 or 30mil
of the pads, but when i autoroute, its placing them almost
100mil away from the pads.

my problem is that i would like to set a design rule to allow
a MAXIMUM distance from the pad to a power/ground via, but
the smd-to-plane constraint is a minimum length.  is there a
rule (or other method) i can use to constrain the maximum
trace length to a plane via during autoroute?

thank you, miker

p.s. to mr. lomax.  the suggestion about using the edit/move/
component and then clicking an empty space to get a parts
listing was a lifesaver.  as you could tell, i had been doing
a find and then having to travel back to where i wanted to
drag it.  thank you.