Ken,
        your problem is not in anything that you have done with generating
your new footprint, nor trying to update the PCB. The problem results
commonly if you have a different number of pads/pins within the two PCB
footprints. The error message indicates that there is a differing number of
pads/pins in the two footprints. This is an issue that I have had with a
number of CAD packages. My Comment is, "...so what!" I want to change the
footprint, thanks for the warning, now do it.
        Your only work-around that I am aware of is:
delete the old footprint from the PCB database, save the PCB database, run
your update utility from the schematic. Then it should stick in the new
part.

Sincerely,
Brad Velander.

Lead PCB Designer
Norsat International Inc.
Microwave Products
Tel   (604) 292-9089 (direct line)
Fax  (604) 292-9010
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.norsat.com

See us at Booth S8155 at NAB 2002 in Las Vegas April 8 - 11.