At 05:29 PM 3/13/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>I would love to see a library of schematic symbols and footprints for the
>parts in the Digikey catalog like ORCAD did. I am often putting together a
>quick proof of concept prototype and I always need something I don't have
>so I have to build symbols and footprints. Is there another source of
>libraries besides the web site or the request for part that they have?

         I second that! I've been turning out all sorts of schematic
symbols and footprints for custom parts lately, everything from CODECs to
chipsets and SMT resistor packs. I've been especially active on the
footprint creation side after folks on here recommended doing so for most
parts a short while ago. (thanks again, gang!)

         I'm wondering, too... Are there any other repositories for shared
libraries or such for components and footprints? More importantly, if not,
are folks out there interested in openly sharing their custom components
and footprints with other people? I do network admin on the side, and have
the server resources available to host a site for archiving and organizing
Protel parts like these if there's sufficient interest from the community.

         I know it certainly would help me out as a timesaver to be able to
pull parts that others have already created and slap them into my design.
We could even keep a designation on them as noting whether or not they have
been physically used on a circuit layout by someone, and whether any
changes need to be made or problems observed. Obviously we're not really
going to be ISO standard and all, but I'll take that tradeoff since more
projects and prototypes I'm working on don't have to be subjected to those
standards on a daily basis. If nothing else, publicly-available libraries
and footprints can at least give you a starting basis and lessen the workload.

         Just thinking out loud here... I'd like to know what sort of
interest there is is perhaps doing something like this. I think it could
potentially be well worth the effort to get it started, considering how
much time it may save in the long run. Thoughts? Comments?

-- Matt