Quoting Brad Velander <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Kiernan,
>       Ian's explanation below is correct. What you're seeing are drawn
> pads rather then flashed rectangular pads. A major shortcoming of Protel
> if
> you are doing very fine or finicky work. As for your soldermask
> encroachment, that will not be an issue because the soldermask pad will
> be
> drawn similarly and won't encroach.

Thanks guys. We're using FPC connectors with an 0.3mm pitch. I've got the pads
designed so that there's virtually no visible land after soldering, so I will
get soldermask encroachment under the pad even though the soldermask lines up
with the copper because the pad that I'm getting out of the gerber is smaller
than the one on the screen (ie smaller than the pin). At the very least, I'll
get severe solderballing.

I've put a sample of the gerber output for a couple of pads below and I wonder
whether anyone knows enough about gerber to see if there's a quick fix that
will produce the correct result. One of the pads is supposed to be a rectangle
and the other actually uses the octagonal option.

Are there any other Non-WYSIWYG features that I should know about before I
spend too many hours on this?? I thought gerber output was the gold standard
for PCB packages.

Cheers

Kiernan Fitzpatrick

%ADD10C,0.0600*%
%ADD11C,0.0150*%
D10*
X102723Y83933D02*
X102879Y83353D01*
D11*
X101100Y83387D02*
X101268Y84015D01*
X101702Y83899D01*
X101534Y83271D01*
X101100Y83387D01*
X101253Y83476D02*
X101356Y83862D01*
X101549Y83810D01*
X101446Y83424D01*
X101253Y83476D01*

Join IrishCircle - IrishAbroad's premium service
http://www.irishabroad.com/circle/