Kiernan,

>I'm still on my first PCB under P99SE. I need to add quite a few extra
routes,
>but the PCB is really dense. Can I route these on the InternalPlane
layers?

As the following text shows that you are talking about plane layers, I
would strongly discourage you to do so, though it technically is possible.
Seperated planes, especially ground planes, are a cause for trouble. If you
absolutely have to place traces on them, take a 5V, 3.3V, etc. power plane
for this purpose, but never a GND plane!

>Should I have used Polygon pours on ordinary layers instead?

I would do that.

>If I am allowed to use the plane layers, then how can I tell whether I'm
going to isolate some
>connections from others

ERC should tell you that. I never tried such a design myself, though. But
ERC works fine with split planes.

>and how can I clean up where the trace ploughing would
>leave nasty slices / lost copper?

You must keep in mind that power layers are negativ layers. You can place
fills and polygons on planes, which result in no copper for these areas.

>Also on plane layers can I pull the plane completely away from a
particular area?

Use fills, tracks, polygons, whatever you like and place them ther, where
you want _no_ copper.

>And finally, if I use a polygon on a normal layer, then how do I create
the thermal reliefs?

When you place a polygon, select "pour over same net". This does it.

Regards,

Gisbert