There are several technologies used for keypads; among them are
snap-domes (metal domes with 3 tabs that enter plated holes, and
a bump that contacts a center pcb pad); elastomeric (an insulating
plastic sheet with round conductive rubber pads that contact
matching conductive grids located on the PCB below each rubber pad);
and keypad assemblies (which have the contacts buried between
plastic layers of a flexible film, with connector "tails" for row and column).
Or the whole thing may come pre-assembled in a keypad module,
with pins like any other component.

The layout varies widely for the different types, so it's best to get
the preferred PCB layout from the manufacturer for the exact part
number or family you'll be using. Be sure to bet their recommendation
for contact plating, often specified as gold. If it's to be gold (or other)
plating, you'll have to do a drawing showing the area to be plated,
as the fabricator will need to mask off all unplated areas.

Brian

Foothill Services LLC