On 08:09 PM 9/04/2002 -0400, Bagotronix Tech Support said:
>Here's one for all you 99SE gurus.
>
>I am trying to prevent the autorouter from putting vias within the boundary
>of a certain footprint.  I tried creating a routing clearance rule:  10 mil
>min. between Footprint JP1 and Object Kind via.  That didn't work - the
>autorouter ignored it.  How do I set up this rule so it works?
>
>Thanks in advance for your responses.
>
>Best regards,
>Ivan Baggett

Some quick ideas none tried or even investigated:
1) Can the multilayer be selected in the layer scope for a clearance design
rule? Vias exist on the mutli-layer.  Maybe you could use a layer scope
against a component scope to achieve a working rule
2) Can you place a fill on an unused copper layer beneath the component and
the set a design rule to prevent vias within a certain distance of anything
on that layer?  (This may need to be a poly pour (rather than a fill)
depending on where all the component pads are. Give it no net name and
"remove dead copper" set to false.)
3) I don't think a keepout fill will work unless you wish to also exclude
tracks.
4) The autorouter is fairly fussy about which rules it will deign to obey
so you may need to try to test different methods of setting rules in order
to chance on one the autorouter will obey.
5) You may be able to achieve what you want with a Pad-Via rule using the
pads of JP1.  You may be able to select these pads in one go with a
pad-specification or maybe an *AND* rule added to the rule set.

Gotto go now...just some quick ideas.  Maybe someone has done it before and
worked it out.

Ian Wilson
5)