From: Adeel Malik [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, May 17, 2002 6:26 AM
To: Protel EDA Forum
Subject: [PEDA] Queries about the prevailing Solder Masking Techniques

The recent thread on masking layers have given rise to some other issues.
 There are usually 3 types of Solder Mask available from the PCB
manufacturers, namely, LPI, Dry Film and Wet. LPI is mostly suited to track
widths in the range of 5-8mils but is less thicker then dry film. Dry film
is more thick but at the same time more expensive. Can someone comment on
the reliability issues of these different Solder Mask types and in which
application one should be preferred on another ?.

My second question is regarding various surface finishes using Gold. Usually
the manufacturers support following types of surface-finish with Gold.

1. Panel Gold Plating (Flash Gold)
2. Electroless Nickel Immersion Gold
3. Normal Gold Finger Plating (usually carried out for PCI cards)

Can someone comment on the advantages and disadvantages of these different
types of plating ?.
regards,
ADEEL MALIK,
PAKISTAN