Dennis,
        used to be that I did my fab drawings in the PCB database as Gerber
for many many years, across many CAD packages. I would still recommend this
as a perfectly viable method. Today I usually do them as a PDF from ACAD
(Protel or other EDA packages just make it too hard to do dimensions, notes,
details, etc..). The PDF also offers a bit of tamperproof or error proof
security (WYSIWYG).

(Note: our PCBs are almost never straight rectangular. We have some rather
complex geometries to dimension, thus I use ACAD (particularly here at
Norsat) because Protel's dimensioning just doesn't cut it for complex
dimensioning.)

        Dennis, really! Who do you think likes doing fabrication drawings?
That has to be the stupidest comment thus far in this thread. 8^> (VBG)  Fab
drawings are tedious, time consuming and completely boring compared to doing
real design. BUT, I take pride in the job when it is completed and I can
drop my load of concerns about that design and move on to other designs.

Sincerely,
Brad Velander.

Lead PCB Designer
Norsat International Inc.
Microwave Products
Tel   (604) 292-9089 (direct line)
Fax  (604) 292-9010
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.norsat.com

Visit us at Booth 2G2-09 at CommunicAsia 2002 in Singapore June 18-21.