On Sat, 01 Jun 2002 10:42:41 -0700, Dennis Saputelli wrote:

>does anyone have any production experience with surface mount
>ceramic resonators with internal caps?

Yep, used many 10,000's (maybe 100,000's by now?) in quite a few
designs. I've had good luck with parts from Murata, AVX and ECS.
Murata seems to be the highest quality, but most expensive. AVX
and ECS have been less expensive, in my experience.

>i remember looking into this several years ago and at that time
>i saw two 'issues' (problems?): the price was 2-3x thru hole
>parts there were many admonitions on the data sheets re handling
>and process control

The price of SMD parts are about at parity with leaded parts --
about 1-2% difference is what I saw when I recently priced some
6MHz parts.

>it appeared to me (mostly by inference) that the flat thin shape
>was possibly brittle and not as protected or relieved from
>planar stresses as the more encapsulated thru hole package would
>be.

I haven't had any mechanical failures ever (at least that have
been relayed back to me). I have seen some soldering related
problems though. Go light on the solder paste, the parts have a
tendency to "float up" on the solder vs. other similar pad size
parts, causing cold solder joints. Other than that, they haven't
caused any of my designs any significant problems.

Matt Pobursky
Maximum Performance Systems