At 06:35 AM 6/11/2002 -0700, Robert Ritchey wrote:
>Hi,
>Sorry, poorly worded question.  How can I set the defaults so that when I
>do a new PCB I always get what I want on these instead of 20mils as
>seems to be the hard-coded default.

If you find out, let me know! By the way, I think the default clearance is
10 mils, 20 mils would be diametric oversize.

>   I would like to be able to go through
>everything for a new PCB, set what I want as default and always have that
>come up when I start a new PCB.

The simple way is to set up a PCB file just the way you want it, and import
that file and rename it instead of simply creating a new file. Protel
*should* have a control file with all the default values; I've never looked
carefully to see if it does or if the defaults are coded into the program.
Perhaps someone has.

But the workaround is pretty easy.

Yes, the default values are a tad ... different from what we would desire.
For example, 10 mils clearance, on a plane layer. will result in a real
clearance of 8.5 mils *nominal* because the clearance is from the hole and
the hole is drilled oversize, a fact that Protel does not consider; nor
should it consider it unless it takes into account plating thickness and
allowable drill size and position error. Factor in drill size tolerance
(say, +/- .005 on a large hole) and drill position error (depends partly on
board size as I would expect and recall), and you might have a dead short.

* Tracking #: 2D048E5397DE58488435624A783E5E8F0BEBE7A1