Rolf,
I am not sure of what part of my post you thought was a joke, it was a
rather lengthy reply, but I assure you I was not joking about anything.
Simulation has to do with the design of robust, reliable, stable
circuits at the lowest possible cost. It is not just an R&D toy.  Anyone
who believes they can sit down and design a circuit in one try that
lives up to the above goals is kidding themselves.  If you ask ten
designers to build a heart rate monitor, you will get ten different
products.  One of them will be better and quite possibly less expensive
than the others.  Simulation helps zero in and optimize every one of
these targets.

Gary Packman