I applaud Don and all those who adopt Linux.  I am looking for the
opportunity to switch myself.

Many of the most successful applications that are moving to Linux appear to
be from the Unix camp.  Expect a Linux PCB CAD port from existing Unix code.

(cranking the soapbox a little higher now)
An OS is a commodity, considering that tens of thousands of individuals
(perhaps more) have the ability to program an OS.  It seems outrageous to
have a business tool which only requires basic file-handling, basic I/O, and
graphics constantly 'upgraded' with commercial bells and whistles for home
users.  Before I get too far off my mark, it seems that the basic OS
functions we require get repackaged and sold to us over and over with Windom
being the defacto OS standard.  I realize that this polarization to a
standard is a natural phenomena and is now entrenched.  Yet the ten thousand
programmers have revealed the commodity nature and delivered an alternative.

Since no one owns the code of Linux, then you actually have a choice of OS
vendor.  If a Linux distro does not keep with your needs, you can choose
another or even hire a consultant to set up what you require.  As opposed to
the current corporate monopoly which threatens to take its ball and go home
if they are not made kings of the world.
( sigh....  so many flame opportunities.... so little time...  ;p )

Duane