From: Steve Wiseman [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 24 July 2002 11:33
To: 'Protel EDA Forum'
Subject: [PEDA] Bottom components with 'top' attribute set.

Hi, all.
  I've been plagued with this on my last 2 double-sided boards, and it's
making things like assembly instructions a nightmare...

Components that, for all the world, look like they're correctly on the
bottom of
the board - pads on the bottom, silk-screen on the bottom, not mirrored,
etc.
However, the components claim to be on the top layer. Any attempt to put
them on the bottom layer puts them on the top.
This looks like knowlege base item 2034, except that
a) I've only ever used Protel on this design (The KB item says that it
occurs
when you import files from Autotrax and Tango - I suspect it also occurs
when
a file is imported from Protel - it's somthing I've done on both of these
projects)
b) They say it's fixed in SP6, which I'm running.
The workaround isn't an option, since I don't have PCB V2.x , so I guess I'm
going to have to unplace all those components, and place them again. This is
going to take many hours, so any hints for a better plan would be gratefully
accepted. Until proven otherwise, I'd recommend people doing double-sided
designs to stay away from the file -> import (and cut&paste) in the explorer
window. It's particularly troublesome, since I didn't notice the failure
until I'd
shipped the gerbers...

Cheers,

  Steve Wiseman

* Tracking #: 1EC96C0AD632D142B7623D0D303E60BE1BA37891