It sounds like there was a problem with the Intellimouse driver - I had similar
problems with a similarly configured system of around the same vintage.

I however updated the drivers (as well as taking Protel out of the list of application
for the scroll wheel), and have had a very stable system since.

I didn't see where JaMi updated the original drivers, just changed over to the
Logitech mouse and drivers.

I can easily see where a buggy (mouse) driver can cause havoc on the best written
applications, and my understanding is that there was a period of terrible to damaging
intellimouse drivers.

Evidenced that there are others including myself that use these drivers without
incident, implies that the problems have been mostly been solved.

Too bad nobody at Protel told JaMi to install updated drivers.

* Tracking #: 60EC075E5A715B4BB8658FFF66B519CA8A852814