On Thu, 01 Aug 2002 18:32:40 -0700, Dennis Saputelli wrote:

>if they would just try making some real boards themselves ...

A brilliant idea. Someone also commented on Altium opening a small
service bureau. Also a great idea. Sitting at a computer and connecting
all the pretty lines is not much in the way of experience -- until you
actually have to design, layout and manufacture a board many simple
concepts are just not readily apparent.

I remember reading Lee Iaccoca's autobiography a few years ago. In it,
he described going to work at Ford Motor Company as an engineering
graduate fresh from college. Ford had a system whereby all new hire
engineers were required to work for 6 months (a month each) in all of
the major departments of the company before they were allowed to join
the engineering group. He credits it for making him a much better
executive and I believe it. I know I started my working career as an
engineer in a small company. First as an engineering tech, then working
my way up project by project -- finally as a full project engineer with
considerable responsibilities. I remember working with the PCB layout
and mechanical design guys. The marketing guys. The purchasing group.
The production line group and test department. And actually meeting
with our end customers too! All of those experiences made me a much
better engineer than the technical education and experience I had -- I
could already do the physical design work -- but getting a good product
out the door meant understanding how the whole process works.

I think a little practical "real world" experience would be a good
thing for those writing our tools.

Matt Pobursky
Maximum Performance Systems

* Tracking #: BD343F218B184A4AAAF7EACDEB69D13457CE1B45