From: John Haddy [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: September 3, 2002 5:13 PM
To: Protel EDA Forum
Subject: Re: [PEDA] Company logo

Oooh... bad idea!

Any artifact on the Top Paste layer will result in an aperture opening on
the paste stencil (assuming that the board will be reflow processed).
Apart from the fact that you'd end up with solder paste on the board that
isn't associated with a copper pad (so the solder would reflow and run to
wherever it would be least convenient :-), an enclosed boundary such as
you describe would cause the interior space of the stencil to drop out,
since
there would be no mechanical support for the interior!

There are a few effective means of doing what you describe:

1/ put the logo on the Top Overlay layer, so that it will be printed (most
commonly in white) along with the rest of the silkscreened overlay text;

2/ draw the logo in copper on the top layer (with a bare surrounding space)
and then cover with soldermask. This will give a subtle result that'll still
be legible. Beware of doing this if your board is for microwave use though!

3/ draw the logo in the soldermask. This can work but you need to be
carefull
to avoid placing any copper features (e.g. tracks) where the soldermask has
been removed. This can especially be an issue during future revisions of the
board, since the SolderMask layer may often not be visible while you're
editing
the copper traces, and it's easy to forget to go back and check! I would
suggest
adding a top layer keepout fill if you want to use this method.

Cheers,

John Haddy