A simple method I've used several times is to indicate on the schematic
the two "select" resistors, calling them out as 0805s, then simply placed
them such that the ends which are commoned on the schematic physically
lie on top of each other with their bodies in-line. Selection is by loading
one or the other footprint. I create a special 0805 Library part
having no overlay lines at their ends, to reduce confusion for the assemblers.

Note that the Component Placement Rules must be turned off (my
default setup) or a special rule could possibly be created to allow a
placement exception for these two parts.

Pick and Place works normally.
DRC sees them correctly, since their overlapping pads have the same net.

Brian

>I need to select the address of a card using 0R (0805) links, and I want to
>create a footprint with 3 SM pads, and be able to specify the link be loaded
>1-2 or 2-3, without having to manually edit the Pick and Place file.
>I don't mind using two different SCH components (since changing will happen
>rarely), or even two PCB footprints.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Can I have a 3 pad PCB footprint and only load a 2 terminal part? Will the
>PnP generator get confused?
>
>Damon Kelly
>Hardware Engineer

* Tracking #: C1202B4B1ED77546B73B3AF7DCF053DCA6A7A7AB