Fred,
        thanks. However, I never stated, nor intended, that the routing
could ignore the spacing between the signal pairs. Lee's article is a little
cavalier about this issue, seeming to condone routing signal pairs with
larger than optimum spacing between the pair. Obviously some could have
interpreted my comments in the same manner as you did.
        I simply intended that it was not of a concern to obtain a
"differential" impedance between the lines. This distance does not have to
be controlled down to a mil, as someone may try if they figured the traces
had some required impedance effect between each other (differential
impedance) and that spacing had to be rigidly maintained along the length of
the traces.

Sincerely,
Brad Velander.

Lead PCB Designer
Norsat International Inc.
Microwave Products
Tel   (604) 292-9089 (direct line)
Fax  (604) 292-9010
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.norsat.com
Norsat's Microwave Products Division has now achieved ISO 9001:2000
certification