From: John Haddy [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, October 01, 2002 7:23 PM
To: Protel EDA Forum
Subject: Re: [PEDA] OT - Good places to get boards populated

Matt,

Another issue is whether you'll be providing a full kit of parts or
whether you want the assembler to source materials for you. If the
latter then there may be some advantage to approaching a larger shop
(that will have a more extensive parts store).

I would personally recommend looking for a firm that is keen
to establish a close working relationship with you over a longer term
- even though your boards may be occasional small-batch stuff. Every
designer should expect to get constructive feedback from their
fabricators and assemblers as to aspects of a board's design that limits
yields. This sort of feedback doesn't happen unless the fabricator/assembler
values your business and is keen to assist in improving your product.

The catchphrase that you should be asking about when talking to assemblers
is whether they're geared for High-mix/Low-volume. The structure of SMT
assembly lines varies with their intended application, so you want a firm
that expects to reconfigure their machines on a regular basis.

I would have thought that you'd be spoilt for options around RTP!

Cheers,

John Haddy