On 09:46 AM 4/10/2002 +1000, Hugh Stevenson said:
>I am suffereng from a problem that when I place schematic symbols the
>Designator and Part Type text is on a 5 grid when my grid is (and always
>has been ) set to 10.  It only happens sometimes.  Does anyone know the
>secret to avaoiding it?
>
>TIA, Hugh.

The location of designators and Part Type (and unhidden attributes in
general) is not something I have ever learnt to control.  It has always
appeared to me that Protel places them just outside the bounding rectangle
of the component (not including pins).  I am not sure what "Just Outside"
means but it seems to be a couple of grid points (so one or two tenths of
an inch).

Hitting the space bar (to rotate the component) while moving it will bring
the Designator and Part Type back to their default positions, which is
useful in the occasional situation where placing a large component followed
by a smaller one causes the smaller components text attributes to be wildly
off the component.

I sometimes find I am dbl-clicking a designator and/or part type, and
editing their X and/or Y locations to bring them into suitable
locations.  This is especially the case when I am stacking up a line of
series bus terminations or EMC components.  The default Protel text
attribute arrangement takes up too much space in these cases so I move the
text about on one sample to look OK and then either copy and paste this
component or clone another with the INS key.  But it is a fiddle.

I am not fussed about the text being off grid.  But I think a few tools to
help arrange Sch component text could be useful.

Ian Wilson