TH> There is no direct scaling. Once you have enough memory to avoid thrashing
TH> then additional memory just avoids some disk access with rapidly
TH> diminishing returns.

 I agree.

 I went from 256Megs to 512Megs just because I could do so
 for (only) $45.00,  but saw no real substantial difference.

 When I was evaluating DXP I did see a big difference between
 autoroute times on my old PC,  vs the new system I put together to
 run DXP on.  The time to route my test board dropped from over 6.5
 hours to 57 Mins (WOW!).  There were a lot of variables here (a faster CPU,
 DXP vs 99SE,  512Megs vs a GIG, ect.) so it is difficult to draw any
 real conclusions.

 My guess though,  is that my biggest gains may have come from the RDRAM
 in the new system vs the SDRAM in the old one.  (I'm sure the faster
 CPU played some part too...)

 So,  I'm thinking there _might_ be a more worthwhile payoff in changing
 memory type (say SDRAM to DDR),  vs the amount of RAM in a system,
 assuming one is past that thrashing point.

 ---Phil