From: Dennis Saputelli [mailto:dsicon@;integratedcontrolsinc.com]
Sent: Thursday, 7 November 2002 1:21 PM
To: Protel EDA Forum
Subject: Re: [PEDA] 99SE, a DRC trap or just a dumb user?

here is one about 99SE
maybe this is to be expected, i'm not sure, but it *almost* caught us

the story:
we had a finished, released and working bd
for the next rev we unrouted all traces and moved some parts around to
new mechanical locations

the netlist did not change

we had a few 2 pin parts
the pads were numbered 1 & 2
for some good reasons which i will not go into
we renumbered 2 to 1 and 1 to 2

remember that the traces were all deleted

we then rerouted the board and it passed DRC

on final inspection the 1 & 2's were backwards compared to the schem
(Orcad sch, so no sync'r)

apparently since the pin 1 had previously acquired the net VCC after
it became pin 2 it was still perfectly happy being on VCC and
pin 2 was happy wherever it went even though the intent was otherwise

examining the netlist proved that the pin numbers did not match the
board
yet the DRC was fine which just shows that it does not walk the netlist
pin numbers
maybe this is as it should be, i'm not sure
or maybe the DRC should take that extra step and resolve the pin numbers

a few cycles of clear the nets and load the nets resolved this but
it would have been easy to release and it would have been AFU

in retrospect this should have all been obvious,
i write it here as a word of caution so that others may not fall down
this hole
reload the netlist! reload the netlist!

a related side note about this:
when we went to re-load the netlist the correct file was in the drop box
we hit Execute and it did something or other and there were no changes
made

we did it a second time BUT used the Browse button to drill to the same
file which was already listed and then it loaded a bunch of macros
and reversed the 2 pins

it does not seem to always need that extra step, just sometimes which is
a bit mysterious

Dennis Saputelli