I've had a simular problem last year.

In my case the reason was a change in the layer-stackup.
I've moved midlayer-5 between midlayer-1 und midlayer-2.
The midlayer order was then 1, 5, 2, 3, 4.

Some times later i've renamed the layers in the layer-stackup-manager in ascending
order (without moving them).
Protel has shown the new layer-names in the layer-tabs of the PCB-editor correctly.

When running a design-rule-check Protel is complaining about errors on midlayer-2.
But when i check the effected objects, Protel is telling me that these object are
placed on midlayer-5.
This was because Protel is internally still working with the old (hard-coded) layer
names.

You can rename the layers to their orignal names to get the design-rules running
without confusion.
Perhaps you want to rearrange the layers in the layer-stack-manager and move the
content of one layer to another.

I've informed Protel about this behavior.
They told me, that it is a known bug.
But there was nothing in the knowlegde base!
I was very angry about that because it took me a lot of time to find this bug.

Best regards, Florian Finsterbusch