>> Not to start up this thread all over again,  but you may find this
>> link also useful in making your system a bit more "invisible"
>> on the net:

http://grc.com/su-bondage.htm
                  ^^^^^^^
aac> Can you provide a brief explanation of what the site contains?

The site describes how to alter the default MS network bindings of
"everything is bound to everything else",  to "binding only necessary
Network protocols together".

In doing this,  some "extra" network linkages that might otherwise be exploitable
are removed.  Doing this better separates the local network transactions (ie
Netbeui,  file and printer sharing) from Internet transactions (ie
TCP/IP).

It's also good practical information on what network protocol managers really
do,  and how they work.  In fact,  the whole site is well worth surfing
around in.

While I'm feeding the thread again,  here is another link to
interesting security stuff:  http://project.honeynet.org/papers/

---Phil