Hi
I just got a 10 layer board back with the +3.3 plane shorted to the ground
plane at 2 alignment pins. The design rules were set for a 14 mil power
plane clearance. The alignment holes are plated but do not electically
connected to any net. The DRC found no problem and the gerber generator did
not flash a plane clearout in the plane layers for these 2 holes.
We were able to remove the connector and ream the holes to isolate the
planes.
  The other feature of the rules that are different on this board from
others that I have done is that I have 3 additional plane clearance rules
that apply to regions of the board under BGAs that require a smaller plane
clearance of 12mils.
I am surprized that I have not run into this problem before.

Dave Eloranta
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Locus Inc.
5540 Research Park Dr.