Hi Igor et al.,

My 2c worth:

I use a library component for every part so I rarely have more than one
footprint stored in the library, only for the cases as you suggest:
TO-220 horizontal or vertical, wave or reflow for a SMT chip part etc.
If there is only one footprint in the library and it is changed and then
an update schematic is performed it makes no sense to me, with my mode
of use, for the parts on the schematic to be left as is. They actually
end up with 2 options for the footprint one of which disappears when the
new one is selected!  Weird! It has caused many a problem for me because
it is quite a job, even with global updates, to make sure that all the
parts have ended up with the new footprint and none have been overlooked
for that last minute change...

I would like to see the Update change the footprint to the new one
corresponding to the existing one used on the schematic, remembering
that the selection from the drop-down is done on the schematic.  So if
the second footprint is used and it is changed in the library, it
changes it on the schematic to the second selection, whatever that is,
when an Update is done.

How that would affect people who use the library in another way, I am
not sure.  I think it would stuff them up because the footprint may have
been edited on the schematic, something that I never do.  Why would they
do an update?, perhaps to change the symbol or something like that, not
associated with the footprint.

I have never understood how they get any value out of having a library
if they select the footprint and possibly enter the "value" every time a
part is used, surely there is the opportunity for error every time a
component is used?  That is what I use the library to avoid.  Once the
component is correct there is no (very small) margin for error.

It seems that an option to update or not update each field of the
components on the schematic is the only way to keep everyone happy.

Cheers, Hugh.