Thanks, Robert.

I tried to import it both the ASCII (.PDF) and the default (.PCB) formats.
he .PCB attempt produced the "Unrecognised File Format" error, with a
suggestion that ACCEL files should be loaded as ASCII. So I renamed
the file .PDF and tried to import. All I got was a black screen, and a check
of Layers Used gave none.

What version of Protel did you use to import the P-CAD files? And, do you
recall the P-CAD version they were generated under? I've since been told the
files I have were done under P-CAD 2001/SP1.

Brian