This might be common knowledge but recently I moved all of my protel 99SE
project files to a new folder and I couldn't open any of them.

Depending on wether the project was a database or just stored as files, was
the type of error received.
If I was trying to open a database project, it came up with the new project
dialog stating

 "The document you selected to open must be imported into a new design
database...."

When I tried to save this new database in the same location (or any location
within this new folder) I received the error message

"Error: Cannot create database at the specified location"

I then tried to open an old "Windows File system" project and got the error
"Root has been deleted" after which an "access violation" followed.

After a bit of experimentation I found that I could create, open and save
projects anywhere except this new folder, which I had named "Protel DB's"

It turns out Portel didn't like the apostrophe, I removed it and all is well
now.

Cheers
Alfonso Baz