Hi all

I have a rare opportunity to completely overhaul our component partnumbering scheme and the handling of parts libraries for design. I have only a few years experience using Protel, so this is the first time I have taken a radical look at how it might best be used in our situation. We design a lot of prototypes using about 1000 different components. To date every schematic library item is a fully specified part - value, tolerance, power rating, etc. This seems to be Protel's intended usage since, when linking a schematic to an external database, Library Reference is the primary key. Presumably the Parts Fields would be used for inventory and purchasing information, managed in the external database. The manual suggests that the Part Type field be used for component value, but as this is already specified, I see no use for it. Could I get some feedback on how others use Protel (99SE SP6)'s many component parameters. Another purely idiosyncratic consideratiion for me is that the company president is the principal designer and it behooves me to make his access to schematic library components a smoothe experience. For example I do not want to have a generic resistor in the library which requires all values to be filled in by hand for each instance.

Graham Brown, Sutter Instrument Co.