On 05:43 AM 12/07/2003, Bagotronix Tech Support said:
> Pins 2, 3, and 5 only - If I wanted all those handshake lines, I might as
> well use a parallel interface.

If there is any chance you may be using a wireline modem or RF modem, you
should consider putting DCD (Data Carrier Detect) in also.  That way you
know when you have a valid carrier.  So RX, TX, GND, and DCD would be a good
versatile subset of the full signal set.

Or if you plan on driving an RS232 to RS485 pod, the RTS line is helpful.

Almost all our devices are wired up to look just like a PC on the basis that they are generally terminal devices (DTE) not a comms device (DCE) and we may want to plug into a modem. We use a standard 5x2 way pin header (when not using a PCB mount DB connector) and so can use cheap IDC to DB cables made in the billions.

Ian