From: Brian Guralnick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Protel EDA Forum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [PEDA] Discovery -> LAN Network pasue & hiccup patch.
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 13:22:58 -0400

I found a surprising fix for my Protel's occasional LAN network pause & hiccups.

I now use the firewall freeware version of ZoneAlarm on all of my PC on my
network.

ZoneAlarm's web site -> www.zonelabs.com
ZoneAlarm's freeware version ->
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/freeDownload.jsp?lid=zadb_zadown

CAREFUL, not the trial version, the free version. The trial version has 2-3
added features over the freeware version, but it will die, or you'll need to
pay for it. The free version works indefinitely.

Brian

As far as I am aware the 'free' version of ZA is only licenced for 'home' or 'non' commercial use.

At my last SW audit I had to remove it from several machines at work and replace it with ZA pro [paid] licenses.

The choice is yours but i would read the SLA.

Also as someone pointed out before on these lists (not me, just cannot remeber who) there is an option in the client99se.ini file for

Broadcast Access Code = True/False
Receive Access Code = True/False

I assume setting these to false will kill the need for network traffic (if the executables take any notice of these lines in the ini anyway), unless the wise developers at Protel do not want this feature disabled, which IMO was the reason to remove the user selectable check boxes in Licencing for broadcast/receive from the earlier 99SE builds (sp3 and later).

Best regards

John

Stay in touch with absent friends - get MSN Messenger http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger