From: Abd ul-Rahman Lomax [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2003 4:36 PM
To: Protel EDA Forum
Subject: Re: [PEDA] Non standard pad shapes in 99se

At 05:34 PM 8/14/2003, Ralph Garvin wrote:
>I am creating a pcb foot-print for an MLP-11 package.
>  The '11'th pin is defined as a large area under the package with
>  4 contact pads on the edge.
>  What is the procedure for creating the irregular shaped area as a pin??

Protel doesn't directly support more than a very few shapes for pads. The
workaround is to create a complex pad shape by adding line or fill
primitives to a pad in the footprint. You can use pretty much any size pad
as the pad itself, as long as it is smaller than the desired final area; it
will be buried in that area. Since it is a surface mount part, there is no
complication involving hole location.

You also need to add primitives to the solder mask layer, if the pad is to
be free of solder mask.

There is a small complication in that the additional copper may not be
assigned its net properly, if this is so, you'll see it with error
indicators or in a DRC. It may be necessary to run the tool that assigns
nets to primitives by connection to pads, or to manually edit the
primitives to the net, possibly with a global edit -- and for this, the
footprint may need to be unlocked temporarily (never leave footprints
unlocked!).