From: Brooks,Bill [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, 4 September 2003 2:11 AM
To: 'Protel EDA Forum'; 'DXP Technical Forum'
Subject: [PEDA] Library management in a multi-user environment - is this
broken?

I need to hear other's experiences with library management in Protel 99SE
SP6. (I assume that DXP is similar)  We have many users in our company and
access to the library seems to only work for users that have 'write' access
to the library file and folder. If they are restricted to 'read only' access
the program doesn't recognize the file. The work around, at the moment, is
to copy the library out of the 'read only' directory on our server and place
the copy locally where the user has 'write' access. The software seems to
like that scenario fine. But then we have multiple copies of the library in
different stages of completion floating around the company on different
computers. The temptation to use 'non-standard' symbols or footprints is
potentially hazardous... We want to control the accuracy of the library and
want to have one responsible designer manage the library for consistency
sake and to reduce errors.

Does anyone have a library system or configuration that works and that
allows other users access to a single library that gets updated only by the
component librarian with write privileges while the others who use it have
read privileges? If so, how did you make it work and how did you get around
these access right issues?

Bill Brooks