There IS a manual way, using rooms and component classes.

A room is defined in the Rules using in_component_class('name'), classes are
defined by the
synchroniser, or manually, there has to be one class per room.

Classes (and rooms) muck up if the room/class definition is in any way
wrong, the room functionality seems to
stop working and synchs no-longer work.  To get out of this you need to
delete all classes and rooms then re-synch. (Another bug)

For this reason, its much easer, (and repeatable/maintainable) to define the
rooms (channels) in the schematic then simply update.  If you get your
idents to match the existing PCB, then your PCB will inherit the room
definitions defined in the schematic. 'Update component links' can assist
here.

Obviously rooms have to be identical in all ways except component idents,
any signal connection differences or component value differences will not be
passed to the PCB.

The PCB traces are copied between rooms where the room boundary COMPLETELY
surrounds a trace segment. Any overlap,
(even one pixel) will not be duplicated (I think this is a bug).

j.