On 02:07 PM 7/10/2003, Mr. Zhang Yangtian said:
In protelDXP PCB "board options" window, there is a alternative choice named "Designator Display", in which you can choose "Display Phisical Designators" or "Display Logical Designators". Who knows what is "Phisical Designator" and what is "Logical Designator"? Thank you very much! I have tested it on one of my finished PCB board and toggled between these two choices, but nothing changed.

The designator display option is used with multi-channel designs. Click on the help arrow on the top right of the Board Options dialog and then click on the Designator Display control to get some help. The multi-channel designator display format can be set in the in the Project Options (I think) - allowing you to have, multiple R1 designators on the board for each R1 in a channel, while still being able to keep track of what component it really is.

This feature was added when requested by users to facilitate short designators on the PCB when using the DXP multi-channel feature. On a non-multi channel design the logical and physical designators will be the same.

http://forums.altium.com and search the archives for information on multi-channel designs.

Ian Wilson