Yes I've noticed that the [ALT] + [numeric keypad] does not generate
characters in the Protel text editor. I don't think there is anything you
can do about it.

Note however that this does work in all the text edit boxes in schematic and
pcb (though the PCB editor won't display any of the extended character set,
the schematic editor seems to show most of them). So one (convoluted) way
around the problem is to generate characters like ... etc in one of the
text boxes (e.g. Part/attributes in the schematic editor) and then cut and
paste to the text editor. It would probably be easier to cut from notepad.

Whilst we are on the topic of Protels text editor:

Is there a way to import .txt files into a Protel DB (cut and paste is the
only way I've found)?

Tom L.