I'll try and keep this short and simple.
We have a stock of components that we regularly use (ie a selection of resistors,
selection of capacitors etc). When generating a schematic we would use RESISTOR and
CAPACITOR for the component symbol and edit the component details. The problem here is
that unless you define very rigid standards, one user might enter a value of 100nF
whilst the nest user (wanting to use the same component) might enter 0.1uF. This makes
the BOM messy as we now have two items for the same component.
Is there anyway with Protel 99SE (which we are using now) or Protel DXP (which we are
migrating to) of being able to select, for example, RESISTOR from the schematic
library and then have a list of all the resistors we stock popup for us to choose from?
Another reason for doing this is that our boards are made out-of-house and for the BOM
we need to include their part# which, again, is difficult to remember and, AFAIK, not
able to be held in Protel.

Best Regards
Laurie Biddulph
http://www.ozemail.com.au/~boobies