At 03:45 AM 12/23/2003, Edi Im Hof wrote:
I have an inquiry for a layout, but the customer uses DXP and I'm still on P99SE. He wants to deliver me the schematics and the pcb-library or a 'pre-placed' board.
Is this doable?

It should be. The appropriate file formats are available in DXP under File/Save As or Save Copy As.

Are there any pitfalls?

Not having done such a translation in detail, I'd recommend some caution. There are likely to be DXP users with much more experience, both here and on the DXP list.

Is it better to work with a netlist rather than to transfer the schematics to P99SE?

It is prudent to generate a net list from each version and use the Netlist comparison tool to detect differences. (99SE Schematic: Reports/Netlist Compare) This is generally true with any CAD translation. I think DXP also has some more sophisticated comparison tools, but I'll leave it to others to detail them!

I'll note that if the DXP Schematic and 99SE Schematic generate the same net list, and the same BOM, differences between them are almost entirely cosmetic (which doesn't mean that they aren't important, but they won't result in a bad board). An exception would be layout directives, if they are being used. Again, the directives can be examined....