re SE99
we tent them
you want to do this to improve yield

then place free pads on bottom side soldermask to allow probing

generally i think plugging is to be avoided for various reasons
(assuming by 'plugging' we are referring to put some material in the
hole)

in DXP you can make top and bottom solder masks different from each
other

Dennis Saputelli

Michael Biggs wrote:

> Can get I a few opinions about how you guys handle BGA components in your
> layouts?
> Do you generally tent (using tenting in Protel99SE via properties) the
> dog-bone vias that branch off of each BGA pad to prevent solder thieving or
> specify in your specifications to Plug top side vias. There may be other
> ideas and I'm sure the responses will vary on the assembly methods.
> Generally I see a reflow then wave on these mixed technology PWA I am
> prototyping.
> Thanks in advance.
> -MB

Integrated Controls, Inc.           Tel: 415-647-0480  EXT 107
2851 21st Street                    Fax: 415-647-3003
San Francisco, CA 94110             www.integratedcontrolsinc.com