At 04:40 AM 1/6/2004, you wrote:
In the near future I am going to layout a board (in Protel 99SE) with high
speed digital signals (PC motherboard). The tracks in some of the buses must
be of same length due to the high speeds and I must use the "Equalize Net
Lengts" function.

Anybody who has experiences using this function and maybe have some hints
for optimising for best results ??

Yes, we have used it. For those who don't know, this function adds meanders to track, i.e., the track wiggles back and forth with a controllable pitch and side-to-side deviation.

The function is a command in the Tools menu; when run, it "attempts to match the length of nets identified by the Matched Net Length design rule. You must set up this design rule prior to running the process. Track segments will be added to all nets that are shorter than the longest net in the set of nets." The tool will look for places along the net where there is room to add the defined meanders, so you might want to think about providing such space.

You can see your net lengths in the Netlist Status Report, to verify that the job has been done to your satisfaction. If you need to make some adjustments, then you'll check your work with that report. It helps if the nets involved have names such that they will appear next to each other in the report....