Maybe you should let us know your level of skill in OrCAD Layout becaouse strangely i
am using it to route my Protel files and speed up the job.I have tried 99SE and now
even my supervisor who was educated with Protel since his colledge days abandon it and
Layout 9.2 to do the routing perfectly most of the time and even if i use manual
routing comparison between Protel 99se with Layout,OrCAD interactive manual routing
still a good tool and its autorouting is consider as superb all this while,finishing
job which took days in just a few second or minutes.The key in succesful usage of
OrCAD Layout is in the knowledge of its Technology Template files and Spreatsheet
setting,and its inter-translation utilities for P-CAD,Protel,Allegro and other very
good,of all the Protel Import and Export,its just help me alot in using Protel too.One
thing for sure,after 6 yrs with OrCAD,i dont encounter many crash or hang and this
involve all the PC's that i have been usig all this years.

Choong

Kerry Berland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>We did a custom project last year in which we were asked to use Orcad Layout
>in place of Protel. It was an ordeal. Lacked behind Protel in dozens of
>ways. Error checking was poor, user interface difficult to learn, limited
>undo, many other shortcomings. Our opinion--their schematic capture program
>is decent, their layout program was truly awful.
>
>Later on we did another custom project with some very talented engineers.
>Got to talking about layout packages. One engineer said, well, out here in
>Southern California, a lot of people use Orcad's schematic capture program,
>but virtually nobody uses their layout package.
>
>Have heard of a lot of people using PADS, some using PCAD, some Protel, but
>very rarely run into people using Orcad for layout.
>
>Maybe that's just one prejudiced point of view....
>
>Best regards,
>
>Kerry Berland
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Silicon Engines