At 09:41 AM 2/28/2004, Robert Ritchey wrote:
Does anyone know what the going rate for an upgradable 99SE
package is approximately? Any help would be greatly appreciated
as I have no idea and would like to make a reasonable offer when
a package comes along.

I'm in the process of completing a sale at $3500. This will be upgraded, by prior arrangement with Altium, at the $2495 price. I was told -- I seem to have missed the announcement -- that the upgrade price is going to $3495 as of March 1. I just looked at the web site and the upgrade is indeed $3495 "as of Feb. 16."

(Altium has normally given more notice of price shifts like that. The upgrade to the latest version of Protel from the previous version is now far more expensive than at any time in the past.)

The increased upgrade price theoretically depreciates existing 99SE licenses. The loss in value is not so great if the buyer does not intend to upgrade; further, the flexibility in timing of the upgrade does have some value.

The theory of resale pricing has been that a buyer wants to save something by buying the license "used" instead of "new," though for most intents and purposes, particularly after upgrade, they are the same. That savings has been estimated at 25%. So a license that would cost $7995 new (Protel DXP or 2004, which is a free upgrade from DXP, as P99SE was free from P99) would resell for $6000. The upgrade to DXP from 99SE was $2495. That makes the 99SE license worth about $3500 if intended for upgrade.

The same argument would lead to a price now of $2500.