Hello,
Following on from the recent thread on identifying components with Company part
numbers etc I would like your feedback on how you handle hardware.
A pcb/schematic may include, for example, some TO-220 voltage regulators that require
a heatsink, a nut and a bolt. I would like Protel to include these automatically in
its BOM which I currently do by creating a simple symbol for a `piece' of hardware and
then put a description like "M3 x 8mm bolt" in the Part Type. This way all the parts
are grouped together (10 x nuts, 10 x bolts etc) and this works well especially as
each type has a Part Number associated with it. The only problem I have is how to
present these parts on my schematics so that they are associated with a specific
component (these nuts and bolts on U1 while those are on U2 etc) without cluttering
the schematic with `simple symbols' and long-winded descriptions.

Best Regards
Laurie Biddulph
http://www.elby-designs.com